For cruise passengers arriving in Civitavecchia with only a single day to see the beautiful city of Rome and what it has to offer - this privately guided fully narrated shore excursion is the best option. The day trip to Rome includes a dedicated personal tour guide to show you all of Rome's highlights as well as ensuring you make it back to the cruise ship at the end of the day. And by booking ahead, you won't waste any time waiting in line! Vatican Museums and Colosseum pre-booked skip the line entrance tickets are included in the tour cost.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Private shore excursion to Rome from Civitavecchia
- Private guide leads you around Rome on this full day private tour
- Guided tour of Rome's most important monuments
- Skip the line entrance tickets to the Vatican Museums, St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum
Recent Photos of this Tour
Browse the gallery of recent Civitavecchia Shore Excursion: Rome in One Day Private Tour photos submitted by actual, honest-to-goodness travelers on Viator.
Meet your private air-conditioned vehicle at the entrance to Civitavecchia port and transfer directly to Rome's religious core, a tiny country all in itself - the Vatican City. Your private guide will greet you as soon as you arrive in Rome and you'll be skipping the line into the Vatican Museums in no time! The guide will introduce you to some of the most precious and famous art in the world, as well as the must-see Sistine Chapel. Next, take a peek into St. Peter's Basilica (you'll skip the line here too!) to see, Michelangelo's Pieta, as well as St. Peter's Square.
Be whisked away to the heart of historic Rome for a lunch break at a traditional Roman restaurant we can recommend, or wherever your taste buds lead you! Your private, dedicated guide will be at your side for the entire day to answer all your questions, provide you with the best advice, and take you to all of the most important fountains, piazzas and monuments which include the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and much more.
No trip to Rome is complete without a stop at the Colosseum. Skip the long queues yet again and explore the interiors and bloody history of this infamous monument! Enjoy being comfortably transferred back to Civitavecchia in time the catch your ship.
Please list any special interests you have (art, architecture, history, culture) at time of booking to alert our guide, so that he or she can better prepare for your private tour.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Civitavecchia port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Port of Civitavecchia
Departure Time (local time)
Departs at 7:30am, or according to your cruise schedule.
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Daily, except Sunday
Tour and Pricing Options
Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD. Click here to change your currency.
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop off
- Worry-Free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- By pre-booking this tour it enables you to skip the long lines (which can take up to two hours!) to enter the Vatican Museums. Please note, all visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Tours departing Wednesday, there is a possibility that you will be unable to include St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's square. This is due to the weekly Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's square could be closed.As an alternative you will be offered and extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's rooms.
- On rare occasions St. Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, we spend a full 3-hours touring the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. We will endeavor to list any affected dates as they become available. The tour guides aim to notify guests if St. Peter’s Basilica is unexpectedly closed upon commencement of the tour. It is beyond our control so no refunds or discounts will be issued
- If you request to store your luggage for the duration of the tour, an extra fee is payable locally to your guide. The fee will be decided on a case-by-case basis
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering Vatican Museum. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that backpacks are not taken on this tour
You MUST include the following cruise details at time of booking!
- Cruise company
- Ship Name
- Your arrival time into Civitavecchia
- Please note, you can choose to remain in Rome or drop off to the airport also. Please specify at time of booking.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local Operator Information
Complete operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
Recent Reviews from Other Travelers
I was very pleased with the high quality of service provided. We really could not have asked for more. Our ship arrived late so we were a little rushed, but we still saw everything on the itinerary. Our guide was very knowledgeable and helpful. We would not hesitate to use them again.
See more reviews